Saturday, April 20, 2013

Some old, old, projects

Just wanted to show you some old projects that I did, or that I attempted to do. Some of them succeded, some of them failed. Let's go from the oldest to the newest.

My development style it's not so good compared on what they always teach you. You are supposed to have an idea, then create some kind of story, then sketch some ideas and design some concepts on a paper, and once you are ready start coding slowly, but I still prefer to start coding some prototype whenever an idea reaches my mind, even if it's not cooked yet. It's a time-waster way and a bad practice, but I'll continue on that for a while.

Alien Chase (July 2012 - [frozen but active])

This goes first because, 1) it's the first project that I did, and, 2) it's the first project that I successfully finished. Alien Chase was developed as part of a educative YouTube screencast series that I recorded last year about Slick2D.

I recently took down the videos because the code actually have some design flaws that I don't want to show (specially if your videos are called "educative"), but I still keep the source code in my computer and I'm even thinking on correcting those design flaws and continue the development as a standalone game.

Here's an screenshot from the original video (I can't link to the video because I switched it to "private" when I detected those flaws, and YouTube wouldn't let you watch it), as uploaded to my YouTube channel on August 13th.

Alien Chase, v0.0.9 (Source: YouTube)

Pixel World War (July 2012 - July 2012)

I don't hold any source code about this nor any screenshots, so I can just tell you some little things about this.

I remember having the idea about a casual game that mixed concepts taken from games such as Advance Wars (for the war) or League of Legends (for the team organization), while looking totally 8-bit and retro, as if it was a NES-era game.

The idea really looked better in my mind, as I just remember that I left the development in less than 2 days since starting designing the system (not coding, but sketching some characters, thinking about some UML diagrams, etc).

Solar (January 2013 - January 2013)

Let's go to 2013. Solar was an idea that I had in January 2013. Some kind of game that involved "big, randomly generated terrains", robots, spacial stations, and so. Just like Pixel World War, the game looked way better in my mind. I had the time to upload some videoshots to YouTube, but the project really didn't passed the 0.0.2 version.


Like Pixel World War, the idea was cool, but I didn't liked my first prototypes, so project dropped quickly.

Drive To (a.k.a. CRP) (March 2013 - [on development])

And then you get to Drive To (or City Road Prototype). It's active and I'm definitely not dropping it. I have stopped working a lot on it because the story behind the game still looks too fragile, but the game will continue its development.

No comments:

Post a Comment